Swapping your home

There are two options to help you swap your home:

Mutual exchange

Mutual excahnge helps you swap your home with another council or housing association tenant in Lambeth or anywhere else in the country.

Both partners in the exchange need to obtain authorisation from their landlords for the exchange to go ahead.

Mutual exchanges:

  • provide a broader range of choices regarding the size, type, and location of your home
  • give you the opportunity to find a home that is suitable for the needs of you and your family.

If you consider swapping with someone outside of London, you may benefit from a cheaper cost of living.

How to arrange a mutual exchange

A mutual exchange can be arranged independently. There is no formal application process if you do it this way. Both applicants’ landlords will however need to give their approval. You should contact your landlord directly for more information.

If you would like more information about mutual exchanges please speak to the Lambeth Service Centre on 0800 088 0088.

back to top


There is also an independent national database of people who want to swap their home called HomeSwapper. If you are living in permanent, self-contained accommodation and renting from Lambeth or any other council or housing association, and you want to move within the UK, then you can register on HomeSwapper. Visit the HomeSwapper website to find out more. You will need to pay a fee to register.

Who is eligible for HomeSwapper?

Anyone living in council or housing association accommodation can exchange their home subject to approval from both landlords. Tenants of private landlords, homeowners and people living in shared ownership properties do not qualify for the scheme.

back to top