Back to the list

28 May 2012: Norwood estate gets spruced up for summer

Homes and open spaces on the Central Hill estate, Upper Norwood, are set to benefit from a summer spruce up next month, when Lambeth London Living holds the latest in a series of estate action days. Local residents are invited to join in with the fun at the action day on June 16 – which will have something for everyone, from bouncy castles to recycling advice.

A packed day of events is planned, and there will be a series of DIY workshops held at an empty estate property to show tenants how to carry out small repair jobs in their own homes, including how to change tap washers, isolating leaks and advice about preventing condensation.

There will be free information stands to give tenants advice about safety, repairs, and noise nuisance, and staff from the recycling bus will be on hand to give advice about recycling and waste.

Estate grounds and communal areas will also be targeted as contractors join Lambeth London Living staff to tackle jobs on railings, bin chambers, pot holes and fencing - additional grounds maintenance and cleaning will be carried out too.

Green fingered tenants are invited to help plant and tidy flower beds ready for blooming summer floral displays and there will be a free bulky collection service organised from key pick up points around the estate. With free dog micro chipping, face painting, lucky dip and refreshments, it promises to be a fun and productive afternoon.

Neil Litherland, Lambeth London Living chief executive said: “These action days make a huge and positive difference. They are proof that by working with residents to tackle smaller jobs we are able to make a big difference for the whole neighbourhood”.

The Central Hill estate action day takes place on June 16, between 11am and 4pm. For more information, contact the area housing office on 020 7926 1687.

There are a number of estate action days scheduled to take place across the borough over the coming months - to find out more about an event near you, contact your local area housing office, or visit