Our complaints process

We want to make sure that we offer our residents a high standard of service and take complaints seriously.

The stages in our complaints process

There are three stages to our complaints process:

Stage one: reporting a complaint to us

Stage two: requesting a review of your complaint

Stage three: reporting the complaint to the Chief Executive's Corporate Complaints Unit

You can also find out about what to do if:

Stage one

The quickest way for us to put things right is to contact the manager of the service that you are unhappy with, who will try to resolve any problems that you have straight away or to report it online.

You can also contact the department complaint officer who will acknowledge your complaint within three working days, and will make sure the service manager issues a full response within 15 working days.

Occasionally it may take longer to provide a response, if this is the case we will tell you the reason why there is a delay and when you can expect a full response.

When making a complaint let us know the following information, to help us resolve the problem:

  • Name
  • Date
  • Address
  • Telephone Number
  • Email address
  • The relevant service area
  • Any relevant reference numbers
  • Details of your complaint
  • Any action would you like us to take

If you are complaining on behalf of someone else please provide their details.

If you are not sure who to complain to, please contact the corporate complaint unit for advice.

back to top

Stage two

If you are not happy with the service managers response you can contact your departmental complaint officer to request that your complaint is reviewed by a senior manager. They will acknowledge your Stage 2 complaint within three working days, and a response will be sent to you within 15 working days.

back to top

Stage three

You can complain to the complaint officers at the Chief Executive's Corporate Complaints Unit (CCU). The CCU is independent of the service you have complained about and will carry out a full and impartial investigation of your complaint.

We aim to complete stage three investigations within 20 working days. If we need to take longer we will explain the reasons for the delay and let you know when you can expect a full reply.

back to top

What to do if you are not happy with the way your complaint has been handled

If you are not happy with the way that we or the council have handled your complaint and you have been through each stage of our complaint procedure you can complain to the Housing Ombudsman:

Housing Ombudsman Service
81 Aldwych

Telephone: 0300 111 3000
Email: info@housing-ombudsman.org.uk


back to top

What to do if you are unhappy with a freedom of information request (FOI)

If you have a complaint about the way your request for information under the Freedom of Information Act has been dealt with contact the Corporate Complaint Unit.

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can  contact the Information Commissioner:

Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Phone: 01625 545 700
Fax: 01625 545 510

Website: www.ico.gov.uk

back to top